Thursday, July 26, 2012

Critter Tales and Furry Fears

I run and ride along Bellaire Drive a lot as it’s a straight shot out to Benbrook.  I see many critters on my training adventures.  Dogs , squirrels, some snakes, armadillos (usually they’re road kill), deer, and road runners just to name a few.
Most are totally innocent and never threaten me.  Most.

Squirrels are tricky though.  Let me tell you, those suckers can turn on a dime!  Although I am not afraid of squirrels, they have, on more than one occasion, tried to make me crash on my bike by freezing - - - turning to scamper off away from me, making me believe I may proceed with no fear of death - - - then FOR NO APPARENT OR RELEVANT REASON - - - running right in front of me, leading to my imminent death. 

There was a snake one day, too.  I was doing repeats on Bellaire and I rode by this poor snake (when they are dead I feel sorry for them and my fear of the ferocious beasts wanes) who had been run over by, what looked like, a bike tire.  I rode by it, very close so as to stay in the bike lane.  It was partially laid out and looked very much dead.  I finished my out and back and headed out again.  I made note to ride closer to the curb as I came upon the “dead” snake again.  The snake was very much NOT dead at this point and was coiled up.  CRAP!  My heart jumped. 
Ok, it was not this small, but I probably overreacted
For those of you that did the Trident Sports open water swim on July 21st, you heard about the strange fish phenomenon.  Tim and I were out setting buoys on Friday night and we came upon an area of the lake where Tim told me “water was bubbling up, probably from a pipe under the lake.”  For a moment I believed him.  As I sat in my kayak looking at the bubbling water (that was a good four feet wide), I realized this “pipe” was moving.  I screamed.  No, I take that back, I squealed.  Not in joy, in pure fear.  This was straight out of a horror movie, no joke. 
As I watched it, I am not sure if I was frozen in fear or pure curiosity, but I sat and starred at it, little tiny fish started flopping out all over the place.  It was like a moving lake crop circle.  FREAKED.ME.OUT.

Deer are an elegant creature.  They are truly graceful and, on occasion, I am fortunate to see one or two deer on my rides through Benbrook.  I often lose my focus as I ride by and just watch them.  However, I have this absolutely strange fear of being rammed, entirely by accident, by a deer.  My friend Larson showed me a video of a guy getting rammed by a deer and I now have this bizarre fear of getting t-boned as I’m riding through Benbrook.  I’m truly afraid that the doe is setting me up.  Gracefully meandering into the road to catch my attention and then BAM, the buck gets me (yes, this is a true fear).   If they’re just grazing by the side of the road, I’m totally cool with that.  But if one runs out in front of me my knuckles go white and I attain a death grip on my handle bars as I await its partner that is lurking in the trees ready to ram me.  If you’d like to share this fear with me, you can watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M.

They should post signs that say, "bike stealing deer ahead"
By far, the scariest critter-related incident I had while training occurred one evening about 11:30PM on Bellaire.  I hadn’t gotten my workout in yet, so I headed out the door at 11PM for my run.  I donned my white top, white skirt, florescent/reflective orange visor, clip on visor light, pepper spray, and my flashing red light so as to be visible to any passing cars (critters were not on my mind).  Well, I have watched far too many episodes of Criminal Minds to be able to sanely venture into the dark by myself at such an hour.  I was on high alert as it was.  As I headed back toward my apartment, I noticed the beady eyes of a critter focused on me.  The critter was in the bike path I was running on and I didn’t want to run too far into the street.  I slowed up.  I slowed up more.  It was going to be a chicken fight and it looked like I was going to lose.  The critter stood its ground, so focused on me that it was perfectly frozen, awaiting my passing.  I began to run into the street, to keep my distance from the critter, and as I approached, to my sheer shock, I realized what it was.  A smashed beer can, with the light from my visor reflecting on it, making it appear to have eyes.
There is absolutely no point to this post.  I just thought I would humor you with some of the things that go through my mind as I’m training J

Beware the smashed beer can animals of the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment