Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Qualitative Analysis and the Daggett Triathlon Club




My father is an engineer. I was raised learning how things work and why things work. If something broke, we took it apart and fixed it. We figured out how it was built, how it functioned and what went wrong to cause it to break. We analyzed it.

I grew up playing team sports. I found myself always looking ahead to the next possible play. I learned to analyze the game, the field, the court, my opponents and my teammates. Ever played Mexican Train Dominoes? The same concept applies. I lay out my dominoes in a fashion that will allow me to play the greatest number of dominoes the fastest and thus be out of dominoes first, leading to my winning the game. I use the information I have to build upon previous lessons learned and to further myself in whatever I come across. I found I always had to have the data to back up my next move in life.

In my previous career, I worked for the philanthropy department of two financial institutions. I administered multi-million dollar foundations, reviewed grant applications and analyzed (there it is again) their financials and their impact on our communities. I thrived on quantitative data.

I have reviewed thousands of grant applications, from nonprofits that are doing absolutely phenomenal work. I aided in both the approval and decline of these applications. My heart weighed heavy from some decisions, but at the end of the day there is only so much money. 

I found my battle, in the review of these applications, was the deficiency in use of qualitative data. That, and the fact that I just cared too damn much. I wished there were endless buckets of money to provide to these programs. Our focus was on proven, sustainable programs. Those that had the quantitative data to back up their request and could prove longevity of a program via past results and future forecasts. Our use of the provided data was solid and, understandably, essential to funding those programs that presented themselves as the most viable and successful in their field.

Yet, I still struggled. I questioned how some organizations could gather the necessary data we required to prove the impact of their program. This was especially significant in the education field with the lack of access to testing scores.

Two years ago I left that job. I worked part time for a friend with a catering company, until I could get my coaching business up and running. During this time I started coaching the kids at Daggett Middle School. It’s where my heart is.

The point of everything I have written above, is that some great things can’t be proven quantifiably. For the first year or so that we had the Daggett Tri Club, I searched for ways to demonstrate the impact of the triathlon club on the lives of the kids that were participating, through their improvement in school and through testing scores. The philanthropic wheels in my head were turning, searching for ways to collect data on our kids to prove that we were having a lasting impact, in order to request funding for the program.
We are lucky to have many community members and groups that have adopted and supported our program without requiring hard data with proven statistical results. Awhile back I came to the conclusion that the quantifiable data just isn’t accessible. It’s there, but I may never be able to provide a spreadsheet that proves this program is working.

If you come out and observe these kids, the qualitative data will hit you in the forehead like a ton of bricks. You will witness them helping one another, without being asked. If you come out on a regular basis, you will experience a growth in these kids, over time, that will make your heart smile. You won’t be able to explain it verbally, but you will know, in your heart and in your mind, that these kids are growing into remarkable young adults right before your eyes. These kids are the foundation of our next generation.
You will observe one of our faster swimmers swimming an extra lap with one of our slower swimmers, so he’s not the last one in the pool after everyone else is done. You’ll see our kids running back up to the parking lot at Benbrook to help our adult kayaker carry her kayak down. When they are awarded candy in class for a correct answer, you’ll witness our Tri Club kids sharing it with those who weren’t awarded any candy so that everyone gets some. At races, you will see our faster kids patting their teammates on the back as they pass them on the run. They’ll give a smile and an encouraging word and then pick the pace back up and finish their race. They’ll grab their medal and then they’ll head back out on the course to cheer on the remainder of their teammates. If you work directly with their teachers, as I do, you’ll get texts with pictures of math problems being solved with reference to run cadence. When they are offered a treat in the store, you will find they come back with a loaf of bread for their family, and not candy for themselves, because it’s what their family needs. They will say “thank you” and when you hear it, you will know it is said out of pure gratitude and not out of habit.

The fact of the matter is that the Daggett Triathlon Club isn’t nurturing triathletes. We are rearing the cornerstones of the next generation, and boy will they be strong leaders. I have said it before and will reiterate it, if these kids never do another triathlon after leaving Daggett it won’t break my heart. I love the sport, but more over I love these kids. My hope is that they fall in love with all three or at least one of the disciplines, but most of all that they find an outlet to a better life. I want them to go to college, to have an education, get a good job and provide for themselves and their families. I want them to have opportunities they may not have had access to without the life lessons they have taken away from the Daggett Triathlon Club. I want them to continue to grow into great people, great people with loving hearts that can pass on the support they have received through the Daggett Triathlon Club to someone in need that they meet in life. I want them to join the infrastructure of the great people in this world that know that everything can’t be proven quantitatively, that analysis doesn’t always provide the necessary facts, that sometimes, many times in life, you just have to provide and believe.


1 comment: